Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Frost Family Pet Clinic Blog

Happy National Garlic Day! There’s garlic bread, garlic knots, garlic pasta, garlic chicken, garlic shrimp scampi, buttery garlic mashed potatoes, the list goes on and on. Who doesn’t love garlic? We’ll tell you who: our pets and VAMPIRES! And here is why: garlic is poisonous to cats and dogs. It causes damage to the red blood cells which can lead to anemia. Clinical signs of ingestion include pale mucous membranes, rapid breathing, lethargy, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. Ingestion is rarely fatal, but supportive care is necessary. If your pet has ingested garlic please call the veterinary clinic or the Pet Poison Helpline.